Comp Sci 11: Hardware Lab
The goal of this lab is to acquaint yourself with computer hardware and
taking computers apart.
Part 1: Protection Against Static Electricity
Before beginning part two of this lab, you must read this How to ground yourself.
Part 2: Identify The Hardware
Complete the following steps:
- With a partner, claim, and label an old computer from the IT Lab.
- Hook the computer up to the testing center and see if it works.
- Remove the case.
- Use this site and Google to help you to identify the following hardware components:
- Floppy Drive
- Hard Drive
- Video Card
- Network Card
- Sound Card
- Power Supply
Part 3: Taking it Apart
After you take the computer apart, you MUST put it back together into its original state. Use the How to take a computer apart article for reference. Use masking tape to label cables and your phone to take photos before taking it apart.
- Remove the RAM.
- Remove the harddrive.
- Remove the any cards in the machine (network, sound, video). If you have a cheap machine,
it won't have any cards. :(
- Remove the CD Drive if there is one.
- Remove the floppy drive if there is one.
- Remove the Power Supply.
- Show Ms. Wear. Answer some verbal questions.
- Put it all back.
- Boot it up. If it works, show Ms. Wear. If it doesn't work, fix it.
- Shut it down and put it back where you originally got it from.